Some very well designed logos can stand the test of time. Classic fonts and simple iconic structure may keep the design fresh for years. However, times change and this may leave your once trendy logo behind the competition. How do you know when you need an update? Here are a few things to consider when evaluating your logo.
1. Simply put, does your logo look dated or tired? Take a look at your competition and notice larger companies that have updated their logo recently and see how they have evolved their logos to fit the times. Sometimes it is just a case of color. Apple is a great example, from the original multi-colored logo to the simple solid apple of today. Same shape, more modern.
2. Is it flexible enough for your use? Make sure your logo works well on dark and light backgrounds. Also, view it in black and white or gray-scale and see if it is still as strong. Was your logo designed professionally? Do you have flexible files for any size project, or are you constantly trying to make your logo fit?
3. How strong is the typography? Does it send the right message? Do a little research into the font(s) or ask a professional for advice. Does it give off a professional feeling? Are your findings in line with the message you are trying to send?
4. Is it simple and clean? Some of the most well known logos are very simple, either an iconic design or a specific typeface that speaks perfectly to the brand. How many fonts does your logo use? A good rule of thumb is not to use over 2 per logo.
5. Has your company gone through a big change recently like a merge or expansion? This would be a perfect time to update the image of your brand, starting with a new logo design.
Updating your company’s logo is a big decision. If your logo is outdated, a fresh look may bring excitement to the business as a whole. Overall, seek professional advice and do your research. For advice on branding and corporate identity, our team would be more than happy to discuss our services and your logo with you. Contact us today!